As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Wasteland by K.A Knight
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Med-Burn RH, Dystopian, Post – Apocalyptic
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited.
The world we once knew is gone, the victim of sudden and cataclysmic climate change. The resulting destruction decimated the population, while leaving the survivors mere shells of the humans they once were. In this strange, new world, we find Worth, a young woman who has escaped a grueling past and now lives near ‘The Rim’, a settlement on the far corners of a less than civilized society. She works, she play and she fights, but not even she can fight the pull of fate when a quartet of men too clean to be local come strolling into town.
This book came as a surprise. A Post-apocalyptic wasteland with scrappy fighters, Mad Max ambiance and enough blood to make even Saw fans cringe.
- The writing style. It’s straight forward and brutal, pulling no punches even as emotion is woven throughout.
- Worth. You have to love her. She’s a survivor in every sense of the word and so bloody badass, she fits the title Champion, which she won through grit, talent and determination.
- World building. There were times I literally felt the dust fly up my nose.
- Character development of the guys. This is a RH series, and thus features multiple love interests. Yet finding out who these guys ARE is shadowed and somewhat rushed. There is hardly any insight into them until almost the end, where the four of them actually start coming to life – and developing personalities of their own.
- Rushed emotions. Ok – so this one may be just me. Emotions should take time, but the love just blossoms here, perhaps too quickly? Then again, the world of this novel is not a kind one, any love must be grabbed and held tightly before the inevitable death comes knocking. So… yeah, maybe just me.
All in all, this was a wonderful dystopian read that ends in a cliffhanger. This is Book 1 in “Their Champions” Series – I have no updates on when the next book will be out.
Please note, this is a Reverse Harem Novel with intense sexual situations more suited to mature audiences.
Twisted Fate by Tansey Morgan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Slow-Burn, Urban Fantasy, RH
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited
Andi is your typical girl with typical needs; work, watch Survivor and possibly get laid again someday. It’s a boring life, but it’s hers, even if her best friend Lucia thinks she needs to get out more and try to live it up in their party town of New Orleans. Andi isn’t really interested.. until a trio of handsome men wander into the diner, and somehow into an invitation for drinks after work. What could go possibly go wrong?
This is my first time reading this author and I have to say I’m pleased so far. This is a slow burn, Urban Fantasy RH that ends without that dreaded cliffhanger – though it’s obvious the series will go on.
- Unique take on mages, introducing new powers, titles and abilities.
- New Orleans! The descriptions are vivid and real, putting you firmly in the eyes of a local.
- Slow burn… love slow burn. It allows relationships to build.
- Possible quick acceptance of her situation? Still on the fence with this one, it’s fast…. but not unreasonable for the plot.
- Lucia. Kinda hate her.
- Too short. Feels like it could have been fleshed out more with character development.
Please note, this is a Reverse Harem Novel with (eventual) intense sexual situations more suited to mature audiences.