As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
by Candace Wondrak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Fast Burn Paranormal RH
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited
Down and Dirty
A sweet stand alone RH, worth reading.
What is it about?
Female shifters are rare in this world, unclaimed female shifters even more so. For Maia, an unclaimed wolf, her rarity is both her blessing, and her curse. Sold as a child to another pack, she was promised to the next Alpha, an arrogant wolf with a cruel streak that makes her shudder. When he decides to claim her despite her objections, her instincts take over and the Alpha Heir lies dead at her feet… blooded by her claws and her rage. Though fights among shifter are common, a female wolf who kills like this is a murderer of the worst kind. Maia has no other choice but to run, and run fast.
Her flight lands her in a small town with few people and wide open forests. Maia plans to only recuperate before hitting the road again… until she runs into a small pack of shifters with no female of their own. They are determined to have her and she is determined to flee, except these shifter soon prove that they are nothing like the wolves she has known before. There is something about them that calls to her and tempts her to stay, even with the blood on her hands.
This is a stand alone shifter RH that explores the inner workings of trust, independence and finding a place you belong. The world and rules are familiar, but just different enough to stand apart and serve as the foundation for a new, expanded universe.
There is something sweet about this, even though Maia sometimes annoyed me with her immaturity and poor decision making skills. The small pack she runs into have their own history and reasons for being there, pasts that seem far more detailed and intriguing that Maia’s own tragic tale.
Despite her faults, there is a compelling component to Maia, an innocence that taunts the reader (and the shifter pack!) And I’ll give her this much, when she makes her decision, she goes for it full throttle!
Third Person, Multiple POV
- Themes explored are deep, but not thrummed like a drum. You get it without the blatant explanations some novels employ.
- FMC: she’s pretty rocking, and makes a main choice I probably would have too.
- Grimm: Big lug of shifter love. Awww.
- Author did not try to drag this out into a series, she knew their tale could be told in one. I love series books, but only if the story supports it. Thank you! 💕
- FMC choices later, some felt a bit manipulative and immature.
- Main antagonist needed a bit more character building. He’s got reasons, but no substance.
For Candace Wondrak’s first foray into the realm of shifters, this is a great stand alone debut, and worth reading
Published January 15th, 2019
Please note, this is a Reverse Harem Novel with sexual themes and scenes more suited to an older audience. 18+
If you enjoyed this review, please be sure to check out a few of my other articles:
- Black Spells and Twisted Souls by CeCe Rose – A Book Review
- Invisible by Sariah Skye – A Book Review
- Up With The Crows by Zoe Parker – A Book Review
What are you reading today? Have you stumbled upon any great, new series you just need to share? Leave a comment – shoot me a message, I would love to talk!!!