As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Free Spirit (The Bound Spirit Series – Book 2)
by H.A. Wills
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Slow Burn Paranormal YA/NA RH
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited
Down and Dirty
Great continuation – Read this series!
Find my review on Book 1, Bound Spirit, Here!
What is it about?
Now that Callie knows what she is, the struggles are just picking up. Her bound Spirit Powers are volatile and leaking out, threatening to explode under the strain of keeping her safe and alive. Unfortunately, that pressure valve is more like a neceluar bomb than a magical geyser. If her binding breaks before the spell can be removed safely, the resulting blast could desimate the entire town, and take the lives of everyone Callie has grown to love.
Tag Line from book cover:
What do you do when the greatest threat to all you hold dear… is you?
More answers, more questions
This series is a feel good paranormal that wraps around you like a warm blanket. You’ve got the damaged, yet strong girl and the equally damaged, but protective men that adopt her into their midst. Slightly formulaic and a touch reminiscent of The Veil Diaries, it still hits all the right notes and transforms into a story that is uniquely its own.
I fell in love with Callie in Book 1 and continued to find new ways to love her in ‘Free Spirit’. She is the epitome of strength and will, portraying a core of goodness despite the ravages of her past. The quintet of men that surround her each bring their own touch to the tale, adding layers of mystery, danger and power to an explosive situation that might very well kill them all. But Felix…. *sigh*…. Felix, while each of the guys is charming and lovable for different reasons, it is the untouchable one that holds my heart as a reader. There is something so wholesome and real about ghost boy, and I love him for it – and H.A. Wills for creating him.
First Person, Multiple POV
- We finally get some answers!
- Felix…. I think I’m in love with a geeky ghost.
- Well written.
- Well edited.
- The descriptions are lively and in full color, painting the scenes in your mind with delicate, literary brush strokes.
- Character development: they ALL really grow in this book.
- Past traumas and natural reactions are not ignored for the sake of plot, instead they are explored and incorporated into the narrative, no matter how awkward or inconvenient they may be.
- Decent wait for Book 3, Summer 2019.
- Lack of other friendly female characters aside from the aunt.
- Cliffhanger… dang it!
I really, really love this series – and I highly recommend it to all fans of RH, YA/NA and The Veil Diaries. You will not be disappointed.
Published January 26th, 2019
Please note, this is a Reverse Harem Series. Though the content is currently suited to the YA Genre, this may change in the future.
If you enjoyed this article, please be sure to check out a few of my other reviews!
- Gypsy Origins by Kristy Cunning
- Gypsy Freak by Kristy Cunning – A Book Review
- Gypsy’s Blood by Kristy Cunning – A Book Review
What are you reading today? What books have you found and fallen in love with this year? Leave a comment, drop me a line – I would love to talk!