As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t Bait Me (Nora Jacob’s Series – Book 3)
by Jackie May
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Slow Burn Paranormal RH
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited
Down and Dirty
Great addition to a wonderful series – Read it!
What is it about?
Nora Jacobs now knows what she is, even if she doesn’t know exactly what that means. Her bloodline is ancient, powerful and feared.. and the reason she and her ragtag team of friends must keep her secret hidden. If people knew what she was, even in the darkness that is Underworld, she would be desired for her nature and hunted for her power.
Yet there are already hunters crawling through their secrets, attacking the glamoured Fay that call Detroit home. When one of those hunter’s strikes at Terrance, her over protective Father-Like Troll, Nora sees red – and she is determined to use every skill in her arsenal to stop them.
This book dropped out of nowhere, catching me by surprise and making me have to quickly reread the other 2 first!! Not that I minded THAT hardship. Though Jackie May, a husband and wife writing team, are fairly new to the Urban Fantasy scene having published their first book in 2018 – they are amazing, offering solid reads and managing to land on my ‘one-click’ auto buy authors list.
Their first book, Don’t Rush Me, introduced us to Nora Jacobs and her strange new world. The follow up, Don’t Cheat Me, fleshed out the saga even more, and somehow continued to gain 5 star reviews from most, including myself. This one, Don’t Bait Me, is another gem in the growing series – somehow missing the dreaded ‘series curse’ that makes books stumble or lag as the serials stack up.
While I’m not a fan of the long time between releases, I can’t complain too much as the quality of these novels proves that time is used to the fullest. Not only do I adore Nora Jacobs, I am quickly falling in love with her harem of supportive men – and those that have befriended her!
Unlike some other RH novels in this exploding genre, the characters surrounding Nora do not ALL want to be part of her Harem of potential lovers. No, instead she has a select few that inspire that kind of feeling, while the rest include friends and a father figure, filling the need for the family Nora never had. It is also the kind of story where the players have room to grow and decide, falling in love before taking the plunge.
First Person, Single POV
Episodic with story arc Cliffhanger
- Nora: Her badass persona comes from her heart and soul, not to mention the things she’s overcome. She’s not a sword wielding savant or a powerhouse of offensive magic, rather she’s a girl who uses what she’s got, loves all she can and is learning to trust, not only in herself, but in her family.
- Rook… he doesn’t play as strong of a role in this novel as in book 2, but he’s still fantastic and so honest.
- Very well written, first person done right.
- Nick: how can a character who is not a love interest be so bloody sexy?!
- Plot progression…. this is a slow moving narrative, though each book is filled with action. The over arcing plot is gently layered as the chapters pass.
- Exceedingly slow burn RH, if you are looking for more than emotional heat with intense kisses, then this is not the series for you. These characters are given the chance to grow and fall in love, leaving the physical scenes until the time is just right.
- Next book???! 🥺
I don’t rate above 5 stars, but this book – and the entire series – makes me want to change my mind. I highly recommend you either buy this book, or find it on Kindle Unlimited today.
Published: January 13th, 2019
Please note, this is a Reverse Harem novel in which the heroine has multiple love interests and will never have to choose between them. Though there is no actual sexual content in this book, the theme is better suited to older audiences.
If you enjoyed this review, please be sure to check out a few of my other articles:
- Gifted Connections Book Two by SM Oliver
- Absorb by Analeigh Ford – A Book Review
- What do my Star Ratings Mean?
What are you reading today? Found any great new books lately? Have you read the Nora Jacobs series? What are YOUR thoughts? Drop me a line, leave a comment – I would love to talk!