As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
(A Skye Faden Novel – Book 1)
by Alisha Ashton
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Medium Burn PNR Menage
Available on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited
Down and Dirty
There are few words to really describe this lengthy book 1… except ‘Woah’. Fantastically unique and deep, it opens the door to a brand new world. Free on Kindle Unlimited.
What is it about?
(Blurb from GoodReads)
Skye Faden has had a crappy decade. Seriously. She survived nearly ten years of torture, then escaped and killed the vampires responsible for the deaths of her entire family. She should – by all rights – be free to spend the rest of her days on a warm, sandy beach somewhere.
Unfortunately, those plans are quickly derailed by a bite-happy werewolf. With just a few days until the full moon and her first transformation, Skye has no choice but to accompany her ADHD-prone handler, Miko, to Scotland in search of answers.
Faced with a supremely sexy ancient werewolf (woof!), a hushed prophecy about how her arrival will trigger a war, and a handful of unexpected new supernatural abilities, Skye is in for one hell of a ride. As the shaky truce between the breeds races toward its abrupt and violent end, she must unlock the mystery surrounding her identity and uncover a secret of betrayal that has been kept for over 4,000 years. Piece of cake, right?
Thoughts on Darkness Descends
While there were a few things in this book I didn’t like, the sheer breadth and length of the narrative overcame any shortcomings. Topping over 700 pages of paranormal delight, this novel is like three books in one, and it spans the gambit, finding both highs and lows along the way.
Though written in third person, which I seldom read these days, it still somehow conveys a personal touch and still allows those inner monologues first person sagas are so known for. We get to know Skye, along with the faols that surround her – both through her eyes and theirs.
Amazingly wrought and deftly presented, this legend inspired narrative is truly captivating.
Why did every word out of his mouth have to feel like auditory foreplay? (17%)
It’s tough to be hardcore when you’re rocking periwinkle. (41%)
Like leading around a class of preschoolers high on pixie-stix, it is. (57%)
- Skye… her growth, strength and weakness bleed through the pages. We struggle with her.
- It actually made me cry. Real tears. You’ll know the part when you get there.
- New take on familiar themes and legends.
- Length!!! Glorious. It really allows the characters to stretch their legs.
- Interactions are VERY funny!
- There are quite a few Gaelic phrases and words used throughout – the author kindly offers links back to the Irish Gaelic Dictionary for translation. Use them.
- POV switches are very frequent, sometimes paragraph to paragraph. In the beginning, this is confusing, but by the end it feels normal.
- Though very unique, there were a few trite moments.
Third Person, Multiple POV
NC-17 for violence and sexual content
Character Age Range
23 to……. over 4,000
A wonderful book that you can really sink your teeth into. Action packed and emotional, it will run you through the wringer… all while trying to hold your hand. I highly recommend it, especially now, as Book 2 is on the horizon. Free on Kindle Unlimited.
Published July 22nd, 2014
If you enjoyed this review of Darkness Descends, please consider checking out a few of my other articles.
- Edge of Magic by Jayne Faith – A Book Review
- Moonshade by S.J. West – A Book Review
- Perfection Unleashed by Jade Kerrion – A Book Review
What are you reading today? Have you read this book yet? What are your thoughts? Leave a comment, I would love to talk!
Leave a Reply